Skip to main content

Broken

So, a week ago today, I was coming home from the hospital with a fractured ankle that had been surgically repaired with 7 screws and a plate on my fibula and 2 screws in my tibia and one in my heel. To say the least, the past 10 days have been trying.

A little back story...

Friday the 20th of September, I was making my way home from another graveyard shift at the facility I work at as a graveyard instructor to teen-aged girls with behavioral problems. The night before my shift started, I went to the 7-11 up the street to buy some snacks to get me through the night. As I was walking to the street to throw away my snack trash in the big outside trash cans, I turned away from the trash cans and stepped in hole between the pavement of the street and the dirt lot where everyone else parks and fell. I heard a pop and immediately thought, "Oh, crap. Please don't be broken. Please don't be broken. Please don't be broken." I got up and continued my way down the street hoping that I'd at least be able to cross the street at the light. I accomplished that much when I couldn't walk anymore. There was a bulge coming out the inside of my ankle that didn't look like the previous sprains I've had. I didn't want to walk on it anymore. I couldn't. I didn't know who to call. I couldn't call anyone at work because they couldn't leave the facility. I didn't want to call my supervisor because I just don't get along with her. I called my brother to see if he was awake and could take me the emergency room that's 5 minutes away. He was asleep. Who could I call at 6:20 in the morning to take me to the hospital?? That was when I thanked my lucky stars for putting the non-emergency Provo police number in my phone when they gave it to us at work one night. The dispatcher took my information and sent an ambulance and a fire truck a whole 2 blocks to come pick me up. The emergency room is literally 5 blocks away. Thank God!

Anyhow, I spent the better part of my morning in the emergency room taking x-rays of my ankle. The attending ER doctor had to sedate me to pop my ankle back into place. The next day - Saturday the 21st - I had surgery to repair my ankle. I spent the rest of my weekend in the hospital contemplating why the hell this happened.

My diabetes is back with a vengeance. My ankle feels like it's in a vice with claws digging into my skin and I'm running low on percocet. I have, maybe, enough for 2 or 3 nights. And because of the pain medication, I haven't been able to go #2 on my own - until today. But I have a feeling that everything I've eaten in the past 10 days is finally going to make it's way out. Blessing in disguise? Ugh...it's more of a pain but it has to come out either way.

If you look in the right side-bar, you can see where they put the screws in my tibia and fibula. It's pretty gruesome and hard to imagine that all that metal is in my ankle right now. I'm hoping that the pain in my ankle will reside pretty soon. My tailbone isn't happy that I have to sleep on my back or that I'm pretty much sedentary the rest of the day. It hurts. Plus, the weight of the partial caste is taking it's toll on my hip and the rest of my leg. The muscles in my right leg are, pretty much, constantly achy.

Anyway, life is pretty much the pits right now. I'm trying to be positive, but not being able to do most everything on my own sucks. Not being able to make to the bathroom in less than 5 minutes is hard. Not being able to eat with the rest of my family or even sleep in my own bed is ridiculously depressing. Not to mention the fact that showering is a circus in and of itself.

I'm hoping it'll get better. It has to, right??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hooray!

I've lost 9.2 pounds in the last 6 days. I'm excited! The picture really doesn't have anything to do with weight loss per se, but it does have the word reduce on it and I took the picture, so I'm putting it up. :-]

Sleepiness becomes me

*sigh* I miss the ocean. Not really the Atlantic Ocean, although I have to say that the East Coast has some beautiful beaches. But the Pacific Ocean will always be home to me. I miss it. I miss the hot sand, the coconut scented sunscreen and tanning oil, the salty sea air, the random volleyball games, the hot surfer boys. I miss it all. Its my favorite place where you can watch the sunset while looking out over the water. Its amazing! Sure, it gets hot, but really? When you're there at the beach looking at the water, taking it all in, it doesn't really matter how hot it is. I've always loved the water. It has a calming effect over me like lavender oil in a steamy bath. I wish I could just be a beach bum for the rest of my life. I'd take photos and sell them to support my needs. Kind of like what Thoreau did at Walden Pond. I really only need the simple things in life and the beach and ocean. I could get along without my phone and definitely without my alarm clock. Just

Slowly but surely

The weight loss has slowed just a little. I've only lost roughly 3 pounds this week. But I am determined to lose at least 80 pounds by my birthday. It's a tall order that's for sure. I have about 34 days to do it. I have to lose 2.4 pounds a day to surpass my goal by a little over than a pound. I suppose I'll have to be more diligent on my diet and exercising. I won't be disappointed if I come close though. The whole point of me going on any sort of exercise/diet plan is to get healthy and to get ready for Hawaii. I refuse to fly on a plane at my current weight. Mostly because I don't want to be embarrassed if I have to get a seat belt extender. I don't want to. I refuse to be one of those people that have to get special accommodations because of my weight just to fly. I think that I've come a long way from how I ate and exercised before. I pretty much look forward to my walks every day and I don't crave soda anymore. I actually had about 4 ounces of