Skip to main content

A Year of Something New

So, this year was the Year of Expression. I did a lot of knitting and made up some recipes (artistic expression). I didn't write as much as I wanted to, but I did my fair share. I'm perpetually working on my book - isn't everyone though? - and getting no where near close to having a concrete outline. There's still a lot of ideas floating around in my head that are needing to be written down somewhere. I'm a feign for lists. Ask anyone. I'll re-write them over and over again to get them perfect and then I quickly fold the list up and put in my pocket or in my bag. Then it inevitably gets tattered and worn and unreadable.

Anyway, I feel like I haven't expressed myself, heart and soul, in the ways that I wanted to. I have no problem expressing myself by way of word. I may be quiet in real life, but I do have something to say. My artistic expression could use some work. I really wanted to get into photography this year but the lack of funds and motivation just didn't give me the kick in the pants that I needed to do anything about it. Hopefully in the fall when I go back to school, I'll be able to sign up for a photography class. The perks of having a roommate with a digital SLR and manual SLR are starting to pay off in future dividends. Kind of like the farm stocks...but I digress.

For the year 2012, I declare it to be the Year of the Granola. Living in Portland, it'll be easy to embrace the free spirited-hippy loving way of things. Also, not having a car will have a hand in things as well. There'll be a lot of nature walking, yoga taking, mediation in the nature park activities. I'll probably even try a week of veganism...or maybe just 72 hours. I hear it's hard. Not that I'm a full on carnivore, I just like a good piece of chicken or fish at least once a week. I'll definitely give vegetarianism a try. I'm half way there a lot of the time. Except when I give in and go to Jack In the Box for a burger.

Anyway, I'll be getting in touch with my inner hippie. Have a discussion about Chacos and Birkenstocks and L.L. Bean and REI camping stuff. I'll read about pacifists and actual hippies. I already read about Woodstock, so if any of you know of a good book about hippies or that era or just anything granola-y, let me know.

so yeah...

Not much more to report on. I still don't have a job but the sun came out today, so my winter blues took the back seat while I took a lovely walk in the Tualatin Hills Nature Park. Seriously, it only needed the house made of gingerbread to make it seem like it was straight out of a fairy tale. And to add to the awesomeness of it all, the trail basically starts in my parking lot.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hooray!

I've lost 9.2 pounds in the last 6 days. I'm excited! The picture really doesn't have anything to do with weight loss per se, but it does have the word reduce on it and I took the picture, so I'm putting it up. :-]

Sleepiness becomes me

*sigh* I miss the ocean. Not really the Atlantic Ocean, although I have to say that the East Coast has some beautiful beaches. But the Pacific Ocean will always be home to me. I miss it. I miss the hot sand, the coconut scented sunscreen and tanning oil, the salty sea air, the random volleyball games, the hot surfer boys. I miss it all. Its my favorite place where you can watch the sunset while looking out over the water. Its amazing! Sure, it gets hot, but really? When you're there at the beach looking at the water, taking it all in, it doesn't really matter how hot it is. I've always loved the water. It has a calming effect over me like lavender oil in a steamy bath. I wish I could just be a beach bum for the rest of my life. I'd take photos and sell them to support my needs. Kind of like what Thoreau did at Walden Pond. I really only need the simple things in life and the beach and ocean. I could get along without my phone and definitely without my alarm clock. Just

Slowly but surely

The weight loss has slowed just a little. I've only lost roughly 3 pounds this week. But I am determined to lose at least 80 pounds by my birthday. It's a tall order that's for sure. I have about 34 days to do it. I have to lose 2.4 pounds a day to surpass my goal by a little over than a pound. I suppose I'll have to be more diligent on my diet and exercising. I won't be disappointed if I come close though. The whole point of me going on any sort of exercise/diet plan is to get healthy and to get ready for Hawaii. I refuse to fly on a plane at my current weight. Mostly because I don't want to be embarrassed if I have to get a seat belt extender. I don't want to. I refuse to be one of those people that have to get special accommodations because of my weight just to fly. I think that I've come a long way from how I ate and exercised before. I pretty much look forward to my walks every day and I don't crave soda anymore. I actually had about 4 ounces of