Skip to main content

Year of the Learner: a recap

So, at the beginning of the year, I named 2010 the Year of the Learner. I didn't really recap anything past the first couple months, well, because like most New Year's goals/resolutions, they kind of fall off the grid. But I promise you dear reader, I did learn a lot. I read a few biographies. Most were pretty fantastic, some were not so great. I absolutely loved reading about Amelia Earhart. She was freaking AMAZING! She is one of many famous people in history that I want to look up in heaven and ask her what happened in the end.

I think, mostly, I've learned a lot about myself this year. I've relearned a lot of things too. So here is a quick recap of things that I've learned during the Year of the Learner!

*People you hang out with definitely rub off on you. Whether it be good or bad.
*Having stellar roommates to uplift and provide a solid examples of Temple going-fellowshipping-striving to be good people is definitely what I need in my life. This past summer, I had awesome roommates and they were super AMAZING.
*School is hard when you really don't know what you're doing or what you really want to become. I'm pretty I'm lacking passion. There are few things that I'm sure of. They are: Weber State has a Photography minor and I am so there as far as a minor goes. AND they have a professional/technical writing program. I was pretty stoked when I saw that program. They also have a few more programs available that UVU doesn't have that I'm interested in.
*Reading biographies is good for you. Learning about historical people is important to broaden your horizon. The infamous types aren't so enlightening. though. Like this guy.

As funny as he can be. any book solely about him isn't going to be so awesome. I couldn't get past the first 2o pages.

*I've learned that in order to get any sort of help from ecclesiastical leaders, namely your Bishop, you really really REALLY have to humble yourself and get over any notions you have about people who do ask for help.
*I've also learned that sometimes, you just have to do things that might be out of your comfort zone or something totally unexpected to expand your horizons. Like moving to Ogden, Utah.
*Money doesn't grow on trees when you need it most. When you don't really need money, it's usually there.

All in all, it's definitely been a learning year. Possible more than I expected. Now, I just need to decide what next year's theme will be. I read somewhere on CNN.com something about the top 10 resolutions/goals not to set. Like finding love, losing weight, or quitting your job. So, if you have ideas for my theme next year, let me know!

Comments

Unknown said…
#1) i'm related to Amelia Earhart. She looks just like my Grandma and great aunt.
#2) Minor in photog.. amazing
#3) this should be the year of expression. interpret that as you please.
#4) Ogden will be great. It's a chance to reinvent yourself.

Popular posts from this blog

Hooray!

I've lost 9.2 pounds in the last 6 days. I'm excited! The picture really doesn't have anything to do with weight loss per se, but it does have the word reduce on it and I took the picture, so I'm putting it up. :-]

Sleepiness becomes me

*sigh* I miss the ocean. Not really the Atlantic Ocean, although I have to say that the East Coast has some beautiful beaches. But the Pacific Ocean will always be home to me. I miss it. I miss the hot sand, the coconut scented sunscreen and tanning oil, the salty sea air, the random volleyball games, the hot surfer boys. I miss it all. Its my favorite place where you can watch the sunset while looking out over the water. Its amazing! Sure, it gets hot, but really? When you're there at the beach looking at the water, taking it all in, it doesn't really matter how hot it is. I've always loved the water. It has a calming effect over me like lavender oil in a steamy bath. I wish I could just be a beach bum for the rest of my life. I'd take photos and sell them to support my needs. Kind of like what Thoreau did at Walden Pond. I really only need the simple things in life and the beach and ocean. I could get along without my phone and definitely without my alarm clock. Just

Slowly but surely

The weight loss has slowed just a little. I've only lost roughly 3 pounds this week. But I am determined to lose at least 80 pounds by my birthday. It's a tall order that's for sure. I have about 34 days to do it. I have to lose 2.4 pounds a day to surpass my goal by a little over than a pound. I suppose I'll have to be more diligent on my diet and exercising. I won't be disappointed if I come close though. The whole point of me going on any sort of exercise/diet plan is to get healthy and to get ready for Hawaii. I refuse to fly on a plane at my current weight. Mostly because I don't want to be embarrassed if I have to get a seat belt extender. I don't want to. I refuse to be one of those people that have to get special accommodations because of my weight just to fly. I think that I've come a long way from how I ate and exercised before. I pretty much look forward to my walks every day and I don't crave soda anymore. I actually had about 4 ounces of