Skip to main content

Like A Prayer

Recently - actually, more like since May - I've been listening to a lot of Madonna. But not just regular Madonna, Glee's remakes of Madonna classics. I'm addicted. As much as I like the original Material Girl, I like shaking my music up a little bit on my iPod.

Also, I've been listening to a lot of Carter Hulsey. I'm pretty sure that he'll be another popular Myspace find with the likes of Colbie Caillat, Brendan James, and Angel Taylor. Seriously, if you haven't heard anything from Brendan James and Angel Taylor, I think you may be missing out on some awesome tunes. I like Colbie Caillat, but she's been overplayed for a while now, so I've been looking for similar music. I definitely recommend Brendan James, Angel Taylor and Carter Hulsey. They've all got myspace pages and music on iTunes and Amazon, so look them up.

Not that Madonna and all my fave myspace finds are in any way related - aside from the fact that they all sing and make music - but I find of all the things that I can't live without, music is one of those things. Music has such a hold on people's emotions and has the ability to increase energy levels, mellow you out, help you feel the Spirit. This week, as I was sitting in random halls on campus, while students passed by with their ear buds in or their HUGE DJ like headphones on, that you can tell a little bit about a person from the music they listen to. I know people whose tastes span the spectrum, but they all have their specific favorites that more or less fit a specific genre. I passed a guy on the way to the library today that had his hardcore rap blaring from his over sized headphones. He had his obviously too big pants sagging half way down his butt (in spite of the fact that he had a belt on), some brand-name t-shirt that was 3 sizes too big, too much cologne, and too much of an attitude for someone born and raised in Utah County. I'm pretty used to the sight of males do this. Most of them I've run into in California. You know, the wannabe gangstas, wannabe thugs, and then the truly bad ass scary guys that you tend to cross the street to the opposite side to avoid. Even the cholos that I've come across in California are more put together. They iron and starch their shirts and pants, take showers, and help abuelitas cross the street and up the stairs. But you know they're really kind of bad ass.

Anyhow, this guy was taking wide diagonal steps to just keep his pants from falling off his butt. The kicker was the fact that this kid was white. I have no clue if he was actually born in Utah, but seriously? How 'bout you pick up your pants, buy a shirt that fits, and tone down the cologne. I don't want to smell you before I actually see you. But I digress. Maybe this kid is actually really super smart. Maybe he's trying to find himself. I don't know. The music you listen to though, can translate itself in weird ways that maybe don't translate who you really are.

I almost outright stared at this kid. I just shook my head and went about my way and started to think, do all people who listen to country, wear tight Wranglers and cowboy-like boots? Do all Rastafarian's smoke doobies and seem politically eccentric? Are all classical music listeners snobby prissy white people? I'd have to say no. The vast majority of those genre specific listeners are pretty normal. This kid though, I'd venture to say that he wants to come off tougher than he seems or be accepted by some sort of social group that is totally into the hardcore, melt your brain till it leaks out your ear rap.

You are what you listen to. Kind of. Music, like I said before, has such a hold on your emotions and in some way reflects what you're going through and what you're wanting to feel. It's true, I listen to Bob Marley, Madonna, Bob Dylan, Jimmi Hendrix, Jack Johnson, some country, Beethoven, Mozart, Death Cab for Cutie, and on and on and on. But I'm not going to grow dreads, wear Wranglers, smoke marijuana, or wear a cone breasted corset around town.

All of us have different music for our different moods. Sometimes we dress, act, speak like the musicians we listen to. Sometimes we go through a phase of listening to the Veggie Tale songs or Simon and Garfunkel (who I actually really like). 

Comments

Becca said…
I truly believe you should wear a coned corset. It would make my day. Because in my head you will always be a khaki shorts, t-shirt and flip flop kinda girl. And I love IT!!!
Malaina said…
I love the way you described the bad ass cholos in California! P.S. I live a few blocks away from The Hat in Pasadena- I'll have to go there tonight and enjoy something for you :)

I hope you are doing well.
Oh come now Joyce...if Sue Sylvester can wear a cone breasted corset around town, we all can wear a cone breasted corset around town. She is by far my favorite Glee character. I think I need to go and buy a red track suit right now. PS: I think I liked most of the music you mentioned too!

Popular posts from this blog

Hooray!

I've lost 9.2 pounds in the last 6 days. I'm excited! The picture really doesn't have anything to do with weight loss per se, but it does have the word reduce on it and I took the picture, so I'm putting it up. :-]

Sleepiness becomes me

*sigh* I miss the ocean. Not really the Atlantic Ocean, although I have to say that the East Coast has some beautiful beaches. But the Pacific Ocean will always be home to me. I miss it. I miss the hot sand, the coconut scented sunscreen and tanning oil, the salty sea air, the random volleyball games, the hot surfer boys. I miss it all. Its my favorite place where you can watch the sunset while looking out over the water. Its amazing! Sure, it gets hot, but really? When you're there at the beach looking at the water, taking it all in, it doesn't really matter how hot it is. I've always loved the water. It has a calming effect over me like lavender oil in a steamy bath. I wish I could just be a beach bum for the rest of my life. I'd take photos and sell them to support my needs. Kind of like what Thoreau did at Walden Pond. I really only need the simple things in life and the beach and ocean. I could get along without my phone and definitely without my alarm clock. Just

Slowly but surely

The weight loss has slowed just a little. I've only lost roughly 3 pounds this week. But I am determined to lose at least 80 pounds by my birthday. It's a tall order that's for sure. I have about 34 days to do it. I have to lose 2.4 pounds a day to surpass my goal by a little over than a pound. I suppose I'll have to be more diligent on my diet and exercising. I won't be disappointed if I come close though. The whole point of me going on any sort of exercise/diet plan is to get healthy and to get ready for Hawaii. I refuse to fly on a plane at my current weight. Mostly because I don't want to be embarrassed if I have to get a seat belt extender. I don't want to. I refuse to be one of those people that have to get special accommodations because of my weight just to fly. I think that I've come a long way from how I ate and exercised before. I pretty much look forward to my walks every day and I don't crave soda anymore. I actually had about 4 ounces of