Skip to main content

Sleep, where art thou?

I know its almost 1:40 am and I'm pretty sure by the time the clock strikes 2am, I'll still be up taking my make up off and taking a shower before I go to bed for the night...err, morning, I mean. At least till its time for me to go to work and to Farmer's Market anyway.

So, my one big piece of juicy news....drum roll, please!....my pell grant is paying for ALL of my tuition this semester. ALL $2100 of it. Fees and tuition and whatever the State of Utah wants to charge poor college students, such as I, to attend the fine institution of Utah Valley University. So yes, my friends, I am going to school and I really don't have worry about paying tuition. Next step is paying for books and my id, which I'm hoping that it won't be killer.

Anyhow, I'm taking 17 credits this semester and I'll be attending school solid for the next year. At least. I know I mentioned earlier that I was going to to attend Mountainland Applied Tech. College to do the pharmacy tech program, but I found out, AFTER taking an hour placement test and waiting ANOTHER hour to hear from the idiot receptionist, that the program didn't consist of enough credit hours to be eligible for a Federal pell grant. Lame, yes? Yes, yes it is. Quite. So, my brother mentioned that the department he works for at UVU has 1 year certificates and I was pretty much intrigued at the very moment. I looked into the programs. They have an excellent arts/media certificate that I really really really wanted to take, but then I was researching jobs in Hawaii, and the certificate wouldn't really help me in the long run. Then I ran across the certificate of accounting. I am a major failure when it comes to math. Ok, not major failure. Considering I haven't taken a math class since my junior year of high school which was *cough*11 years ago*cough*, the math class I was more or less assigned to is pretty much where I thought I'd be after so many years of not taking a math class. So in comes Math 990. Yeah. Intro to algebra. I kind of felt stupid, but then I realized that I didn't even remember half the crap on the placement test and I was pretty lucky that they didn't kick me all the way down to basic arithmatic. I pretty much rocked the english portion of the placement test, so no worries there. I'm enrolled in English 1010 which is pretty much a core class you have to take anyway as part of your college education.

So, I am pretty stoked to start school again. I can't believe I'm actually taking more than 12 credit hours this time around. I mean, when I first started college, I was like, "Man, I am not going to push myself. I just finished 4 years of hell and my mom just died, so I'm going to lay low and not exert my brain." Which, I'm sorry to say, happened. I don't think I attended my classes enough to pass and my GPA was a sad, sad story.

Well, I'm starting to not make sense in my head and its almost 2am and yeah...I've been awake since 7am. Time for me to go to bed.

Farmer's Market and off to work in the morning...I am SO glad that I finished this school hoopla. Now I don't have to really stress out. Yet.

Comments

Laura said…
you never came! I looked for ya! I will be there next week come see me!

Popular posts from this blog

Hooray!

I've lost 9.2 pounds in the last 6 days. I'm excited! The picture really doesn't have anything to do with weight loss per se, but it does have the word reduce on it and I took the picture, so I'm putting it up. :-]

Sleepiness becomes me

*sigh* I miss the ocean. Not really the Atlantic Ocean, although I have to say that the East Coast has some beautiful beaches. But the Pacific Ocean will always be home to me. I miss it. I miss the hot sand, the coconut scented sunscreen and tanning oil, the salty sea air, the random volleyball games, the hot surfer boys. I miss it all. Its my favorite place where you can watch the sunset while looking out over the water. Its amazing! Sure, it gets hot, but really? When you're there at the beach looking at the water, taking it all in, it doesn't really matter how hot it is. I've always loved the water. It has a calming effect over me like lavender oil in a steamy bath. I wish I could just be a beach bum for the rest of my life. I'd take photos and sell them to support my needs. Kind of like what Thoreau did at Walden Pond. I really only need the simple things in life and the beach and ocean. I could get along without my phone and definitely without my alarm clock. Just

Slowly but surely

The weight loss has slowed just a little. I've only lost roughly 3 pounds this week. But I am determined to lose at least 80 pounds by my birthday. It's a tall order that's for sure. I have about 34 days to do it. I have to lose 2.4 pounds a day to surpass my goal by a little over than a pound. I suppose I'll have to be more diligent on my diet and exercising. I won't be disappointed if I come close though. The whole point of me going on any sort of exercise/diet plan is to get healthy and to get ready for Hawaii. I refuse to fly on a plane at my current weight. Mostly because I don't want to be embarrassed if I have to get a seat belt extender. I don't want to. I refuse to be one of those people that have to get special accommodations because of my weight just to fly. I think that I've come a long way from how I ate and exercised before. I pretty much look forward to my walks every day and I don't crave soda anymore. I actually had about 4 ounces of