Skip to main content

Beginnings and Endings

Four more days; that's is all that is left of the year 2015. The date that Marty McFly and Doc went to in the future - October 21, 2015 - is now in the past. There are things that I didn't think would be done this year, but somehow, I made happen. Things like: exercising on a consistent basis and changing jobs when I thought I was sitting pretty comfortably for another two years. 

(Google search)

Exercise has become a integral part of my day. When I don't exercise, my body knows. When I do, though, I sleep better and I feel better about myself. Since moving in with Janae, I've been more mindful of what I put in my body and how much I exercise. She's a Beach Body coach, which means I have access to the 21 Day Fix workouts. Those are probably my favorite workouts. I took a few days off to battle a cold and when I started back with the upper fix, I strained my shoulder a bit. I tried playing doctor and self-diagnosed myself with a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. I'll probably have to rest my shoulder a bit and do other workouts in the meantime. Or go to the doctor - which I really, REALLY don't want to do, especially if it turns out that I do have a torn rotator cuff. Ugh...anyway. Exercise has become my friend and I'm hoping to make it more of a habit. The next step is to work on what I eat. While I've been more mindful of how much I'm putting in my body, the type of food hasn't really changed. 

(Beach Body)

I've also been to church more in the past four months than I have all year. Anything spiritual has been lacking in my life since I was in Oregon. Even when I moved back over three years ago, I hadn't really made an effort to make any real changes that I needed to make. I was on a path laid in good intentions and failed promises and it wasn't leading anywhere I truly wanted to go. Getting back on the path that I want to get on is hard. But really, since moving in with Janae and having her good influence around has been a true godsend. Really. 

(LDS Portland, Oregon Temple)

Back in October when I was in California, I visited my mom at the cemetery. The ugly cry came out. The way I felt while there is still too personal to share. Let's just say that the expectation I have of myself in my head doesn't match the expectation that I think my mom would have had. That's also in my head. I don't know what she would have expected had she lived. Maybe my own expectations for myself are astronomically way too high. Part of me thinks that all my mom would want is that I be happy and successful in whatever I'm doing with my life. The other part of me thinks that there's more that I need to accomplish. I know I am capable of so much more than what I'm doing right now. Being comfortable is my forte. The aches and pains that accompany growth is something that I don't like experiencing.

Most of any sort of growth I've experienced can be attributed to moving in with Janae. Learning more of my personality and what motivates me is one of those things. Like how much of an INFJ personality I am. I'm also a major white personality as well as an obliger. I'll have to write a more in depth post about what all these personality types mean, but when all is said is done, I'm the kind of person that likes peace and quiet. For anyone that really knows me, you're probably shaking your head saying, "Well, duh." But there's really more to these personality traits than meets the eye. Another post for another day. I promise. 


Anyhow, with the year ending, I needed to record something of what I've done. Maybe I'll do that another day when I'm not so pressed for time to do other things that I ought to be doing. Like sleeping. There go my procrastination skills...again. 

Comments

Janae said…
Finally subscribed to your blog, since I apparently didn't the first time I browsed to it. I think you're a pretty impressive person with so much more in you than you maybe realized before now. And I'm so happy that you're realizing it! There's so much we can change about ourselves when we acknowledge and accept our challenges and strengths.

I know you keep a lot inside and don't let anyone in your walls. So the vulnerability you express here and in your note to me for Valentine's does not go unnoticed or underappreciated.

You're a good person Joyce, and an example to me of patience and hard work and the importance of doing uncomfortable things.

Popular posts from this blog

Hooray!

I've lost 9.2 pounds in the last 6 days. I'm excited! The picture really doesn't have anything to do with weight loss per se, but it does have the word reduce on it and I took the picture, so I'm putting it up. :-]

Sleepiness becomes me

*sigh* I miss the ocean. Not really the Atlantic Ocean, although I have to say that the East Coast has some beautiful beaches. But the Pacific Ocean will always be home to me. I miss it. I miss the hot sand, the coconut scented sunscreen and tanning oil, the salty sea air, the random volleyball games, the hot surfer boys. I miss it all. Its my favorite place where you can watch the sunset while looking out over the water. Its amazing! Sure, it gets hot, but really? When you're there at the beach looking at the water, taking it all in, it doesn't really matter how hot it is. I've always loved the water. It has a calming effect over me like lavender oil in a steamy bath. I wish I could just be a beach bum for the rest of my life. I'd take photos and sell them to support my needs. Kind of like what Thoreau did at Walden Pond. I really only need the simple things in life and the beach and ocean. I could get along without my phone and definitely without my alarm clock. Just

Slowly but surely

The weight loss has slowed just a little. I've only lost roughly 3 pounds this week. But I am determined to lose at least 80 pounds by my birthday. It's a tall order that's for sure. I have about 34 days to do it. I have to lose 2.4 pounds a day to surpass my goal by a little over than a pound. I suppose I'll have to be more diligent on my diet and exercising. I won't be disappointed if I come close though. The whole point of me going on any sort of exercise/diet plan is to get healthy and to get ready for Hawaii. I refuse to fly on a plane at my current weight. Mostly because I don't want to be embarrassed if I have to get a seat belt extender. I don't want to. I refuse to be one of those people that have to get special accommodations because of my weight just to fly. I think that I've come a long way from how I ate and exercised before. I pretty much look forward to my walks every day and I don't crave soda anymore. I actually had about 4 ounces of