Skip to main content

I'm One of Those People


I don't usually publicly announce my religious affiliation on social media - or in real life - very often. I won't deny that I am LDS - or Mormon if I'm asked what church I go to or what religion I subscribe to. I'm one of those Mormon's who quietly live their religion. I may be Mormon, but I don't believe that every LGBTQ+ individual has a one way ticket to hell. There are people I love who are identify as something other than straight. I love them because they are my family, my people. I don't love them more or less because they are gay, lesbian, queer, or whatever. What they identify as doesn't matter to me. I also believe that medical marijuana is helpful in a lot of cases. Seizures. Cancer. Crohns. Glaucoma. Autism. Anyone with an end-stage, incurable, going to die anyway disease. Does that make me a bad Mormon? I don't think so. There are definitely people who are Mormon who are very strict and by the book in their observance of our shared faith. Sometimes they are the ones who scream the loudest and sometimes that's all the world can hear and assume that Mormons are all like that. We aren't. I'm not. 

Anyway, I wanted to preface this announcement with that little tidbit. I never thought in a million years that I would be going to a Church run/affiliated university, but I am. I got accepted to BYU-Idaho this last week to be an online student. I'm not crazy enough to move to Rexburg, Idaho. I'd never survive the winters there. I'll be going into Public Health with an emphasis in health education and promotion. I'm not on the teaching track. After I'm done at BYU-I, I might get a masters in Public Health at George Washington University. Most careers in public health require a masters to move up the ladder. So here is to the next couple years of my life! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hooray!

I've lost 9.2 pounds in the last 6 days. I'm excited! The picture really doesn't have anything to do with weight loss per se, but it does have the word reduce on it and I took the picture, so I'm putting it up. :-]

Sleepiness becomes me

*sigh* I miss the ocean. Not really the Atlantic Ocean, although I have to say that the East Coast has some beautiful beaches. But the Pacific Ocean will always be home to me. I miss it. I miss the hot sand, the coconut scented sunscreen and tanning oil, the salty sea air, the random volleyball games, the hot surfer boys. I miss it all. Its my favorite place where you can watch the sunset while looking out over the water. Its amazing! Sure, it gets hot, but really? When you're there at the beach looking at the water, taking it all in, it doesn't really matter how hot it is. I've always loved the water. It has a calming effect over me like lavender oil in a steamy bath. I wish I could just be a beach bum for the rest of my life. I'd take photos and sell them to support my needs. Kind of like what Thoreau did at Walden Pond. I really only need the simple things in life and the beach and ocean. I could get along without my phone and definitely without my alarm clock. Just

Slowly but surely

The weight loss has slowed just a little. I've only lost roughly 3 pounds this week. But I am determined to lose at least 80 pounds by my birthday. It's a tall order that's for sure. I have about 34 days to do it. I have to lose 2.4 pounds a day to surpass my goal by a little over than a pound. I suppose I'll have to be more diligent on my diet and exercising. I won't be disappointed if I come close though. The whole point of me going on any sort of exercise/diet plan is to get healthy and to get ready for Hawaii. I refuse to fly on a plane at my current weight. Mostly because I don't want to be embarrassed if I have to get a seat belt extender. I don't want to. I refuse to be one of those people that have to get special accommodations because of my weight just to fly. I think that I've come a long way from how I ate and exercised before. I pretty much look forward to my walks every day and I don't crave soda anymore. I actually had about 4 ounces of