Skip to main content

Life Update

Remember when I used to update this blog more often than every 7 months? Yeah...me too. Every time I think I have something to say, I forget about to make any record of it. I'm pretty sure I Instagram more than I read any sort of blog. We live in a generation where if a blog doesn't have pictures or a vlog is too long or isn't interesting, then we move on to something else that feeds into our short attention spans. That's my problem anyway. I don't think my life is interesting enough to record. Sure, I have a paper journal; but even that has been neglected far longer than this poor blog.

Anyhow, I'm updating from a different location than the previous few blogs. I moved to Sandy a couple months ago after True Path closed. I had a warehouse job folding t-shirts, but I really didn't want to stay there long term. Then, I found a job in South Salt Lake at Columbus Community Center. I work with adults with disabilities in a day program. I like my job in spite of the fact that it can be emotionally and mentally draining. Most days are pretty good; some just aren't.  I've been at Columbus for 5 months; it feels longer than that most of the time.

Before moving to Sandy, I moved into a dinky little apartment near Downtown Salt Lake. It wasn't fancy or even the nicest of buildings, but rent was cheap and I wasn't planning on being home a ton anyway. Moving day came and I found out that the place had roaches and other bugs. The week I lived there, I didn't dare cook or unpack. I moved in with Felisa and her girlfriend for 3 weeks before finding Janae - my current roommate - and her place here in Sandy. Finding this place really was a godsend. Rent is a little more than I want to pay, but it's clean and the neighborhood is pretty safe and the commute to work is about the same as it was when I was downtown and at Felisa's.

Nate and Tanya had baby #5 on May 4th. They named her Faye. Phil and Heather moved to Pleasant Grove, UT. I think they'll be staying a while. Stephen and Shauna live in Modesto, CA. Stephen got a job with the City Planner to help make the city more walk-able. They'll be there a while. Felisa moved in with Skye in August near Liberty Park. Adam broke his collar bone almost 2 months ago playing football with his friends.

So...yeah. That's all that's been going on. I did go to Jon Eric's wedding in October in Berkeley and stayed at Stephen's new place for a night. Then I drove down to Clovis to go to the cemetery and stayed at Nani's. It was weird being back after not being there for over a decade.

Anyway, I'm trying to live life a little more authentically. It's hard because that means that I have to be more emotionally vulnerable and that's really hard for me. I hate being exposed in that sense the fact that if I am left that way, I don't want to be hurt. No one wants to be hurt, but people who live with their hearts on their sleeves seem to have the kind of relationships that I envy.

I'm getting deep here, so maybe that'll be another blog for another day. But one goal that'll definitely be on the New Year's goal list is to be more emotionally authentic and not hold back my emotions when it's warranted. I am still an introvert; and introverts by most definitions are definitely a little more reserved.

Okay. Until next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hooray!

I've lost 9.2 pounds in the last 6 days. I'm excited! The picture really doesn't have anything to do with weight loss per se, but it does have the word reduce on it and I took the picture, so I'm putting it up. :-]

Sleepiness becomes me

*sigh* I miss the ocean. Not really the Atlantic Ocean, although I have to say that the East Coast has some beautiful beaches. But the Pacific Ocean will always be home to me. I miss it. I miss the hot sand, the coconut scented sunscreen and tanning oil, the salty sea air, the random volleyball games, the hot surfer boys. I miss it all. Its my favorite place where you can watch the sunset while looking out over the water. Its amazing! Sure, it gets hot, but really? When you're there at the beach looking at the water, taking it all in, it doesn't really matter how hot it is. I've always loved the water. It has a calming effect over me like lavender oil in a steamy bath. I wish I could just be a beach bum for the rest of my life. I'd take photos and sell them to support my needs. Kind of like what Thoreau did at Walden Pond. I really only need the simple things in life and the beach and ocean. I could get along without my phone and definitely without my alarm clock. Just

Slowly but surely

The weight loss has slowed just a little. I've only lost roughly 3 pounds this week. But I am determined to lose at least 80 pounds by my birthday. It's a tall order that's for sure. I have about 34 days to do it. I have to lose 2.4 pounds a day to surpass my goal by a little over than a pound. I suppose I'll have to be more diligent on my diet and exercising. I won't be disappointed if I come close though. The whole point of me going on any sort of exercise/diet plan is to get healthy and to get ready for Hawaii. I refuse to fly on a plane at my current weight. Mostly because I don't want to be embarrassed if I have to get a seat belt extender. I don't want to. I refuse to be one of those people that have to get special accommodations because of my weight just to fly. I think that I've come a long way from how I ate and exercised before. I pretty much look forward to my walks every day and I don't crave soda anymore. I actually had about 4 ounces of