Skip to main content

Missed Conncetions

I was reading this article in the NY Times while procrastinating finishing the schedule for my employees (whoa...that makes me feel old...I have employees...weird), and it really hit home. The article dives into the weird stage in your 30s where it's hard to make actual friends rather than situational friends.

You know, the let's-grab-dinner, our-kids-are-the-same-age-so-lets-go-to-the-park-so-I-have-a-reason-to-not-slide-the-slide-for-the-millionth-time, game-night, Netflix-marathon-ing kind of friends. The people where we could call maybe once a month to do whatever activity it is that you share interest in and do it together so you don't feel lonely. I mean, yeah, you have your people (like Meredith Grey and Cristina Yang's relationship) who would do anything for you, but you know, people get married, they move away and it's hard to actually get together because life is pulling you in a million different ways. You finally find yourself in your, "omg...when did I become an adult" phase.  But your people will always be your people.

So you find some situational friends. The people to kind of fill your time with because not having friends is just lonely. You go to an occasional dinner, fill your time with some fluff conversation and then go home. You don't necessarily feel fulfilled by the relationship, but it's better than sitting at home...by yourself....again. Suddenly, having adult friends is harder than you thought it'd be. Mostly, because life isn't like a 22 minute sitcom. What you thought you'd have as far as friendships/relationships go - something possibly resembling Friends or Seinfeld - just isn't reality. I guess it could be, but let's just face it, the possibility of that happening is pretty minuscule.

I struggle with this. Like a lot. Not only do I have the complete opposite work/sleep schedule of anyone I know, but throw on top of that wonky schedule my introvert tendencies and my aversion to people who try too hard to be something they aren't. I see people who are around my age who have a LOT of friends. But then I think, how can just one person have some many friends and actually like them?? Then I think, are most of them situational friends? Are they more acquaintance than friend? I think my problem is that I know a lot of people, but none of them are really friends.

In my 33 years of life, I have crossed a lot of people in my life. Most of the people that I'm friends with on Facebook, are people from my high school days or went to church with until I moved to Utah. I moved to Utah and made A LOT of situational friends. That's all I had the first year I lived in Utah mostly because I threw myself into a totally unknown situation. After I started working and moved to a different town, I made a few more friends. They were still mostly situational, but I saw them at least twice a week to go do stuff. I feel like I hadn't made any deep connections with people.

I think that the first half of my 20s, I was still trying to figure out how to trust people. The problem with letting people in and trusting them is that they almost inevitably disappoint you. Once I trust you, I am loyal. Almost to a fault. When I F I N A L L Y found a bosom buddy here in Utah, I was so happy to have someone to randomly call or text. When I think about this friendship I had with this person, it makes me sad. We were roommates at one time and when we weren't, we still talked almost every single day until we just didn't. It's so hard to going from that to trying to figure out how to communicate with them while they figure out how to deal with deep soul breaking depression.  It's even harder trying to figure out how to deal with all of that while they live on the other side of the country and don't have regular access to a phone.

Anyway, my point is that after that friendship fizzled and burned to the ground, I found it even harder to open up and trust people. The way to my heart - or lasting friendship with me - is spending quality time. It really doesn't matter when or where, as long as you put in the time, we're golden. Well, I guess it does depend a little bit on the frequency of the when, but I like to think of myself as a low maintenance kind of gal.

Well, that turned out way longer than I anticipated. But it has occurred to me that I need to work on fostering lasting friendships rather than situational friendships. Situational friendships have their time and place, but what I really need in my life right now is an emotionally stable friend who is willing to spend time with me. Maybe two of them. But that's really my limit. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hooray!

I've lost 9.2 pounds in the last 6 days. I'm excited! The picture really doesn't have anything to do with weight loss per se, but it does have the word reduce on it and I took the picture, so I'm putting it up. :-]

Sleepiness becomes me

*sigh* I miss the ocean. Not really the Atlantic Ocean, although I have to say that the East Coast has some beautiful beaches. But the Pacific Ocean will always be home to me. I miss it. I miss the hot sand, the coconut scented sunscreen and tanning oil, the salty sea air, the random volleyball games, the hot surfer boys. I miss it all. Its my favorite place where you can watch the sunset while looking out over the water. Its amazing! Sure, it gets hot, but really? When you're there at the beach looking at the water, taking it all in, it doesn't really matter how hot it is. I've always loved the water. It has a calming effect over me like lavender oil in a steamy bath. I wish I could just be a beach bum for the rest of my life. I'd take photos and sell them to support my needs. Kind of like what Thoreau did at Walden Pond. I really only need the simple things in life and the beach and ocean. I could get along without my phone and definitely without my alarm clock. Just

Slowly but surely

The weight loss has slowed just a little. I've only lost roughly 3 pounds this week. But I am determined to lose at least 80 pounds by my birthday. It's a tall order that's for sure. I have about 34 days to do it. I have to lose 2.4 pounds a day to surpass my goal by a little over than a pound. I suppose I'll have to be more diligent on my diet and exercising. I won't be disappointed if I come close though. The whole point of me going on any sort of exercise/diet plan is to get healthy and to get ready for Hawaii. I refuse to fly on a plane at my current weight. Mostly because I don't want to be embarrassed if I have to get a seat belt extender. I don't want to. I refuse to be one of those people that have to get special accommodations because of my weight just to fly. I think that I've come a long way from how I ate and exercised before. I pretty much look forward to my walks every day and I don't crave soda anymore. I actually had about 4 ounces of